Easy rusk receipe that Juliana ( from Joburg !) showed us how to make when she came to visit the farm! Thanks for sharing Juls! Follow steps below and you will have rusks for breakfast tomorrow, the next day, and next.... they make loads, just don't cut them too big or else they will take too long to dry out.
500g Marg or butter.
2 cups of sugar.
500ml buttermilk. 1kg Self-raising Flour.
2 cups Wheat Bran.
Pinch of Salt
Tablespoon of Cinnamon
Can add extra's - try muesli or coconut, cranberries etc. Whatever you like - mix them in after step 5.
1 . Preheat oven 180 C
2 . Grease big tray - like the black ones that come standard in the oven one uses for cooking chicken.
3 . Melt marg slowly, add sugar and stir two minutes.
4 . Add buttermilk and stir.
5. Slowly add this to the dry mix ( Flour, Bran, Salt and Cinnamon).
6. Spoon this batter into the greased pan, press down so edges are all neat.
7. Bake for 45 min.
8. Pull pan out and cut blocks ( 4 cm x 7 cm).
9. Arrange these on two trays so that there are spaces between the blocks. Plan is to dry them out - can't do that if they are touching.
10. Trays back into the oven at 90 C for 2 hrs.
11. Switch oven off but leave rusks in for another 2 hrs.